Your Oral Health and Dental Hygiene is an important piece of your overall health!
Research shows there may be a link between oral disease and other health problems such as diabetes, heart disease and stroke, as well as pre-term and low-birth-weight babies. Researchers are just beginning to understand this link, but evidence is mounting that having a healthy mouth is an important part of leading a healthy life.
As Part of a healthy lifestyle and to reduce the risk of oral disease…
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brush and floss regularly. Eat a well-balanced diet and avoid excess sugar.
- Check your gums. Look for red, shiny, puffy, sore or sensitive gums; bleeding when you brush and floss; bad breath that won’t go away.
- Don’t smoke. If you smoke, talk to your dentist today about how tobacco is affecting your oral heath and appearance. Tobacco is a major cause of tooth loss through gum disease. Smoking can lead to serious problems like oral cancer.
- See your dentist regularly. Regular check-ups and professional cleanings are the best way to prevent problems and unnecessary expense. Don’t wait until it hurts!
South Calgary Periodontist has the expertise to identify and address all your oral health needs.
Your Dental Hygiene and You!
We are committed to focusing on your dental hygiene and overall oral health. This means decreasing inflammation through periodontal dentistry. When you have active periodontal disease, routine home maintenance, dental hygiene and teeth cleaning is not enough as it generally focuses on areas of the tooth that are above the gum-line.
A regular scaling and root planing procedure removes plaque, tartar (calculus) and bacterial toxins (biofilms) from tooth surfaces below the gum line.
That is why at South Calgary Periodontal, we make sure that you are on a twice-per-year frequency of maintenance and/or preventative care schedule. And for some people, the frequency between visits needs to increase in order to suit their individual oral health needs.
In order to find appointment times that fit with your busy and active life style, most of our clients prefer to pre-schedule their next visit. For your convenience, we will remind you of your upcoming appointments with us with either a phone call or by e-mail notification.
Sometimes you may require a maintenance appointment which may include:
- taking digital x-rays to check jawbone levels
- measuring the depth of periodontal pockets
- checking for loose teeth or bleeding gums
- removing plaque or tartar above and below the gum line
- talking with you about the effectiveness of your home care
- oral cancer screening and checking the tissues of the head and neck
- Regular periodontal and preventative maintenance visits help us break the stronghold of bacteria in your gums and slow or eliminate their destructive effects.
Regular removal of tarter (calculus) and bacteria (biofilms) are crucial to treating gingivitis, controlling periodontal disease and preventing tooth decay. How do we accomplish this?
We use an ultrasonic scaler
An ultrasonic scaler consists of a wand with a small scaling tip that produces a soft ultrasonic vibration and a gentle flow of water. As the tip moves along the tooth surface, it makes quick, small vibrations that break up plaque and tartar.
These vibrations give you a tickling sensation and cause millions of microscopic bubbles to form in the water.
The benefits of ultrasonic scaling
- Ultrasonic scaling can be more comfortable than hand scaling because the tip is extremely small. Also, much of the work is done without disturbing the gum tissue.
- In addition, we can add a medicated solution to the water to treat any infection and aid in healing.
- Scaling your teeth with an ultrasonic scaler is an effective and efficient method for helping you keep your healthy and beautiful smile.
At South Calgary Periodontal Group, we are always welcoming new patients!
Call us at (403) 278-5446 to book your Teeth Cleaning appointment today!