Signs & Symptoms
At South Calgary Periodontal, we are asked many times by our patients how do you know if you have gum disease (periodontitis)? Since gum disease can occur at any age, if it is detected in the early stages, it can be reversed. Here are some signs to be on the lookout for that may signal the onset of gum disease:
- Are your gums red, puffy, swollen or tender?
- Do your gums bleed during brushing or flossing?
- Do your teeth look longer because your gums are receding?
- Have your gums separated or pulled away from your teeth, creating a pocket?
- Do you have changes in the way your teeth fit together when you bite?
- Is there pus coming from between your teeth and gums?
- Do you have constant bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth?
- Do your teeth have a lot of plaque on them?
- Do you have a lot of tartar on your teeth?
How Do I Tell if I Have Healthy Gums?
If you have healthy gums, the gums are firm and don’t bleed when either brushing or flossing. You will notice that your gums fit snugly around your teeth.
How Do I Know If I Have the Start of Periodontal Disease?
When you have the mildest form of Gingivitis (periodontal disease), the gums may appear mildly inflamed or appear red or swollen. If your gums bleed when brushing, this is also a major sign that you have periodontal disease.
Periodontitis is when your gums have begun to separate and recede from the teeth. This allows the plaque to move towards the roots, which function as the support mechanism to fibers and bone.
When you have advanced periodontitis, the supporting fibers and bones are decayed. This can end up causing your teeth to become loose and may even result in the need for their removal!
By booking a regular teeth cleaning and oral health check every 6 months, we can help you stay on a path towards a lifetime of oral health!
At South Calgary Periodontal Group, we are always welcoming new patients.
Call us at (403) 278-5446 to book your Periodontal Consultation appointment today!